I recently came across the following article on the Spanish website www.Semana.com. This reliable editorial details the latest revelations on the true ancestry of Christopher Columbus (Cristóbal Colón) and the primary motivation behind the discovery of The Americas. It further confirms my own Jewish ancestry that dates back to the migration of Spanish Jews to the island of Cuba onboard the voyages of Columbus.
Here are some highlights of these recent revelations:
- Christopher Columbus was not of Italian nationality as previously supposed. He was actually a Spanish Jew who went to great lengths to hide his Jewish-ness by obscuring his childhood records. However, much of Columbus’ personal correspondence contained reference to King David of the Bible, the often used term “Bet Hei” (which is Hebrew for “with God’s help”) and his letters were written from right to left in the Hebrew reading fashion, instead of left to right.
- During this period in history, the Spanish Inquisition was in full force. The powerful Roman Catholic Church in Spain was arresting, imprisoning, torturing, and burning alive all Jews in Spain who refused to convert to Roman Catholicism. It is estimated that as many as 120,000 Jews fled from Spain to avoid the persecution. Many of these Jews traveled on Columbus’ voyages and populated the countries of Cuba, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Hispaniola (today Dominican Republic/Haiti), Venezuela, Panama, Honduras, Mexico, and many other islands in the Caribbean. Columbus himself is buried in the Dominican Republic.
- Many Jews who remained in Spain changed their Jewish names and identities to avoid persecution. They also pretended to convert to Roman Catholicism while practicing their own Jewish religion in secret. These new Jewish converts were nevertheless labeled “Marranos*” (swine or pigs) and Christopher Columbus is believed to have been one of those professing conversion while remaining a secret Jew.
- Columbus’ first voyage set sail from Spain on August 3, 1492. It is believed this date was deliberately chosen to commemorate the anniversary of the destruction of the two Jewish temples in Israel.
- Contrary to previous opinion, the voyages of Columbus that resulted in the discovery of the Americas was not financed by the Catholic kings Fernando II de Aragón and Isabel I de Castilla, but by the wealthy Jewish community (Marranos*) who remained in Spain.
Christopher Columbus made a total of four trips to the Americas during 1492-1504. It is believed that during these trips to the Caribbean Islands and Central and South America, hundreds and thousands of Jews disembarked and began lives in the new world with religious freedom. It’s no wonder that these new colonies began to thrive under God’s favor. God has historically blessed the nations that supported the Jewish people.
“I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” – Genesis 12:3
Could it be that these countries were blessed of God because of the first Jewish inhabitants? Let us remember that the United States was first colonized by Jews from Spain in the areas of Florida (Spanish word meaning “Feast of Flowers”) and other parts of the U.S. eastern coastline. It is quite possible that the United States was blessed of God – not only because of the English Puritan colonists, but also because of the first Spanish-Jewish settlers.
- Pastor Luis Josephus
- – - – - – - – - -
FOR FURTHER STUDY:
There are many Jewish Cubans (nicknamed “Jewbans”) like myself who’s ancestors first settled on the island of Cuba fleeing the Spanish Inquisition in the 15th Century. Here is a new version of Hava Nagila performed by Cuban singers and dancers (possibly descendents of Spanish Jews) within a backdrop of Old Havana, Cuba. In this video, they have incorporated the Cuban “salsa” rhythms. “Hava Nagila” (Hebrew: “Let Us Rejoice”) is a popular Hebrew folk song that is traditionally sung at Jewish weddings, and Bar Mitzvah’s.
During the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948, Cuban planes and pilots brought nearly 150,000 Jews to Israel from Iraq, Iran, Yemen, and India. “Unreported for nearly 60 years, the airlift was one of the largest in history”
Una exposición muestra que el descubrimiento de América habría sido financiado, no con las joyas de la reina Isabel, sino con dineros de la comunidad judía, a la cual pertenecería, además, el descubridor.