By Luis Josephus
“Have I been so long time with you, and yet have you not known Me?” – John 14:9
It is quite possible to think you are a “Christian” and not really know the Lord Jesus in a personal way. Many might find that hard to believe, but it happens a lot. I can truthfully say that I had considered myself a Christian for most of my early life. As a boy I went to church regularly, prayed, learned my catechism, confessed my sins to the priest, and took the Holy Communion. But I really wasn’t saved. nor really knew the true Jesus of the Bible. I was practicing a religion without having a genuine relationship with God.
Calling yourself a “Christian” doesn’t automatically make you a Christian. Today, the term “Christian” has become more of a cultural label than a true testimony that Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God, dwells in you.
Until I was spiritually “born again” and personally invited Jesus the Messiah to become my Savior and Lord, I didn’t really become a true Christian. When I had this life-altering experience at the age of 29, I didn’t really know God. Jesus came to dwell in my heart by the power of the Holy Spirit and my life was transformed for the better. I realized what I had been missing all of my life was a personal encounter with the Living God. I finally understood the words of Jesus to Nicodemus, a religious Jew and leader in his church, that he needed to be born again.
“There was a man named Nicodemus, a Jewish religious leader who was a Pharisee. After dark one evening, he came to speak with Jesus. ‘Rabbi,’ he said, ‘we all know that God has sent you to teach us. Your miraculous signs are evidence that God is with you.’ Jesus replied, ‘I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.” – John 3:1-3
Like Nicodemus, you may consider yourself religious, or even believe you are already a Christian, but if you’re not sure that you are really spiritually born again, you’re probably not really saved. If you’re not sure, pray this prayer of faith right now and invite Jesus to become your Savior and Lord of your life:
“Dear Jesus, I believe you are the Son of God who came to die on the cross for the penalty of my sins. I repent of my sins and ask you to forgive me. I invite you today to become my Savior and the Lord of my life. I submit myself in obedience to you and ask you to take full control of me; change me into your image, and help me to be the kind of person you created me to be. Amen.”
If you prayed this prayer, email us with your complete postal address and let us know so that we can rejoice with you and welcome you into our Christian family. We will also send you some helpful study materials to enrich your Christian growth.
The Next Step
Now that you have received Jesus Christ as the Savior and Lord of your life, below are some necessary and practical steps you need to take to grow in your development as a Christian.
1. Prayer – It is important for you to spend time talking to God every day through prayer. Thank Him for your salvation, share your thoughts and concerns, and pray for the needs of others.
2. Bible Study – Personal Bible study is the primary way that God speaks to us and instructs us on how to live. As you read the Bible, ask God to show you which passages apply to your life. A good place to start your study is by reading the Gospel of John in its entirety.
3. Join a Good Church – Attend regularly and get involved with other Christians. As you get plugged into a local church, you will receive the teaching, encouragement, support, and fellowship you need to become a mature Christian.
4. Tell Others About Jesus – Share your new faith with others who need to know God. Invite family and friends to go to church with you.
5. Live a Godly Life – Make every effort to live a new life in Christ by practicing holiness, goodness, self-control, perseverance, kindness, and love.
Order Our Free Tract – This entire message by brother Luis Josephus is available in printed form as an evangelistic leaflet that you can use to witness to your friends. Order your free copy by filling out the form below. If you wish to order larger quantities, go to our Resources page.
ORDER / CONTACT FORM