More than ever, the church needs to be able to reach young people, the next generation, with the gospel of Jesus Christ. Below are some of the most important reasons.
1) Youth ministry is vital to helping young adults integrate into the larger community of the church.
2) Youth ministry challenges the status quo, helping a church stay relevant in a changing culture.
3) Youth ministry focuses on inviting youth, who are not already part of the church, into the fellowship of God’s redemptive plan for humankind.
4) Youth ministry reminds the church that young people are not marginalized members of the body of Christ, but are co-collaborators in the divine work of the church.
5) Youth ministry helps the church broaden its vision of mission and the way of Jesus, by reaching people outside the boundaries of its own generation, culture, and religious traditions.
– Luis Josephus
YOUTHSPECIALTIES.COM commissioned a comprehensive study by Barna Research Group to better understand the state of youth ministry in churches today. The following results stand out and reinforce the reasons why the Church needs youth ministry:
* In the last three years, 60% of churches experienced an increase in their youth ministry attendance overall.
* 75% of youth leaders surveyed say that discipleship and spiritual instruction is the top priority for their ministries.
* 66% believe that their church leadership views youth ministry as one of the top priorities in their church.